In a significant move an Ottawa judge has granted an interim injunction seeking to silence the honking horns that have plagued residents of downtown Ottawa for the past 11 days.
“Tooting a horn is not an expression of any great thought I’m aware of,” said Justice Hugh McLean during a court hearing in Ottawa Monday.
The temporary injunction order is effective immediately and is meant to silence the horns at all hours for the next 10 days.
It also covers the zone north of the Queensway, the city’s main east-west artery.
Lawyer Paul Champ said air horns and train horns are blasted at sound levels of 105 to 120 decibels for prolonged periods and can cause permanent hearing damage.
“Every hour this goes by, there is harm to the people of Centretown,” he told the hearing.
Keith Wilson, a lawyer representing three protest organizers named in the suit, argued that his clients Tamara Lich, Benjamin Dichter and Chris Barber are not personally responsible for the noise.
He also said that what Ottawa is experiencing is a grassroots protest against pandemic measures.
“There is more evidence before you that downtown Ottawa residents don’t feel they’re being harmed and this is part of the democratic process,” he said.
The judge said that while the participants have a right to protest, taking their horns away would not rob them of that right.
The request for an injunction came out of a proposed class-action lawsuit filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on Friday by lawyer Champ on behalf of his client Zexi Li, a 21-year-old public servant.
Ottawa declares state of emergency, and as a result police remove fuel from protest camp
Ottawa police went into a protest camp Sunday evening to remove fuel as the city declared a state of emergency amid the protests.
It sought an injunction prohibiting the defendants, or any other participant in the anti-vaccine mandate convoy protest, from using vehicle horns in the vicinity of downtown.
According to the order, police are now authorized to arrest and remove anyone they believe is aware of the order and is contravening it.
They also have the discretion to release anyone from arrest if that person agrees in writing to obey the order.
The defendants are also ordered to publicize the injunction on social media.
The Canadian court is adjourned until Feb. 16, at which point all sides will discuss continuing the order.
A group of downtown Ottawa residents, where vast majority of anti-government protesters are situated, filed a multi-million-dollar class-action lawsuit last week alleging that the demonstrators are interfering with their quality of life.
Since the so-called “Freedom Convoy” trucks first entered Downtown Ottawa 11 days ago, residents have had to contend with a myriad of audio disruptions, including fireworks, singing, and, most notably, truck and car horns.
The wave of protest across Canada began in mid-January, with thousands of truckers and other demonstrators converging upon Ottawa to express strong opposition to vaccine mandates for truckers crossing the US-Canada border.
The protest has since evolved into an anti-government demonstration, with various groups uniting in opposition of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.