Violence broke in UP’s Bulandshahr on Monday over alleged illegal slaughter of cattle, leaving a police inspector and a youth dead
Hindutva cow protection fringe elements mob went on a rampage here torching a police post and clashed with police, which opened fire to control the situation, officials said.
ADG Law and Order Anand Kumar said that the UP government has ordered a SIT probe, besides enquiry by ADG intelligence and magisterial probe.
He added that reinforcements were rushed to the spot of violence and the situation was now under control.
Additional Director General of Meerut zone Prashant Kumar said the protesters from Mahaw village and nearby areas pelted stones on the police and indulged in arson setting several vehicles and the Chingarwathi Police Chowki on fire.
Inspector Subodh Kumar, who was posted at the Syana Police Station, died in the violence, he said, but the cause of death he did not elaborate.
Police said a 20-year-old youth, identified as Sumit died of gun-shot wounds.
District Magistrate Anuj Jha was quoted saying: “One police inspector dead during a clash with people protesting against illegal slaughterhouses in Bulandshahr .”
The mob resorted in stone pelting while the policemen tried to get things under control. The police were also forced to retaliate and fired into the mob to control the protesters.
In the process, police inspector Subodh Kumar Singh was critically injured and later he died .
Incidentally, inspector Subodh Kumar Singh was the investigation officer in the Mohammad Akhlaq lynching case and was instrumental in getting the meat samples to the lab on time.
Subodh Kumar Singh was transferred in the middle of the investigation.
Another youngster named Sumit who had been admitted to a hospital in Meerut also succumbed to his injuries. SUmit was a 2nd year student. The deceased, had gone to drop his friend who came to his place to give an invitation and got caught in the ruckus. Family members claim that he had been shot in his chest.
Anand Kumar (ADG L&O) said: “One policeman died in stone pelting from villagers, later a local Sumit also got shot and was shifted to a hospital in Meerut where he succumbed to injuries. Probe is underway to find out who shot him Bulandshahr.”
A huge police force contingent has been deployed on the spot. The ADG Zone and IG Range have rushed to the spot from Meerut.
According to sources , the police resorted to firing once mob had resorted to arson, but it only worsened the situation. The stone pelting increased in intensity and many cars were burnt down. In the mayhem, Subodh Kumar Singh and his assistant were injured. Singh later succumbed to his injuries
The trouble started after villagers found some body parts of cow and its progeny in a jungle in Mahaw village, the ADG said.
Angry villagers and members of various Hindu groups brought the animal remains in tractor-trolley to the Chingarwathi Police Chowki and demanded action against the culprits.
They raised slogans against the police administration and blocked the Bulandshahr-Garh highway.
District Magistrate Anuj Kumar Jha said police and senior officials tried to reason with the protestors but they refused to budge.
As Sub-divisional Magistrate Avinash Kumar Maurya arrived on the scene, protesters turned violent, pelting stones on policemen and indulging in arson.
District Magistrate Anuj Kumar Jha said police had to open fire in self-defence.
Meerut Divisional Commissioner Aneeta C Meshram said she was rushing to the spot to take stock of the situation.