Madras Medical College fondly refereed as MMC ranks 60th among top 100 medical colleges across globe
The Madras Medical College is at the 60th position in the list of top 100 medical colleges across the globe in the recently released list by CEO World Magazine.
It is to be noted accordint to Dr E Theranirajan, dean of Madras Medical College this is the only State-run medical college to have made it to the list.
Harvard Medical School topped the list and AIIMS Delhi was at the 22nd position. Christian Medical College bagged the 46th spot. JIPMER has been ranked 55th with a score of 79.46, about 0.69 points more than Madras Medical College.
Christian Medical College has scored 81.46. Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University also featured in the list at the 69th position with a score of 77.28.
The colleges have been ranked based on academic reputation, admission eligibility, specialisations, global reputation and influence, annual tuition and fees, research performance and student satisfaction.
“With a score of 78.77 this year, Madras Medical College jumped by four positions to the 60th spot from the 64th position in 2021. The ranking of the college has improved over the years and MMC is the only government medical college from Tamil Nadu in the list, “ said Dr E Theranirajan, dean of Madras Medical College.
The rankings have been based on other data also such as admissions acceptance rate, accreditation, number of seats, student-to-professor ratio and overall recognition, he added.
The Government General Hospital was named affter Congress foremer Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi General Hospital by DMK government led by M.Karunanithi , has a long history to recollect .
It was started on 16th November 1664 as a small Hospital to treat the sick soldiers of the East India Company.
It was the untiring inspired efforts of Sir Edward Winter who was the agent of the company that materialised in the first British Hospital at Madras.
In its early days the Hospital was housed at the Fort St. George and in the next 25 years grew into a formal medical facility.
Governor Sir. Elihy Yale was instrumental in the development of the Hospital and gave it a new premises with in the Fort in 1690.
The Hospital moved out of the Fort after the Anglo French War and it took 20 long years before it could settle in the present permanent place in 1772.
By the year 1772 the Hospital was training Europeans, Eurasians and natives in allopathic methods of diagnosis and treatment and methods of preparing medicines.
These trained personnel’s were posted to various dispensaries in the district head quarters of the then Madras Presidency to assist the qualified doctors.
By 1820 the institution had the recognition as the model hospital of the East India Company.
So in 1827 Dr. D.Mortimar was appointed as the Superintendent of the Hospital.
A private medical hall run by Dr. Mortimar was regularised as a medical school and it was opened by Sir Fredrick Adams, the then Governor of Madras on 2nd February 1835.
The Governor promulgated an order to make the school a state sponsored one and attached it to the General Hospital.
In 1842 the Hospital opened its doors to Indians. In the next two decades, the teaching staff had increased, the duration of the course extended and the curriculum was made comprehensive.
Senior courses spanning 5 years was started and private people were also admitted for the first time in the institution.
In the early part of 1850 the school council submitted proposals to the government to accord the status of a College.
The Government granted this request and from 1st October 1850 it became Madras Medical College.