The Madras High Court had upheld the act of taking over of the renowned Ayodhya Mandapam alias Ayodhya Ashwamedha Mahamandapam in West Mambalam by the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) department of the state government.
Justice VM Velumani dismissed the plea by Sri Ram Samaj, which wanted the state government to recall its decision of taking over the Ayodhya Mandapam built in the year 1954.
“As per Section 20 (6) of the TN Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Act, 1956, the HR&CE has the authority to take over any religious institution where a deity is kept and prayers are offered by the public. T
he government shall take over such institutions under certain conditions,” HR&CE counsel Yashwant submitted.
The mandapam is managed by Sri Ram Samaj who also operate Mithilapuri Kalyana Mandapam a marriage hall, Sri Sitaram Vidyalaya school and Gnanavapi a place for conducting funeral rites.
The Mandapam was constructed in 1964 and initially it was open to the Iyers of Mambalam (a set of Brahmin Community).
Later following protests from other Hindus it was made available for all the other communities.
However till now it is known for the association/meeting point for Brahmin community at large .
In January 2014, this society was taken over by HR & CE department of Tamil Nadu Government.
After Sri Ram Samaj goes to court the Chief Justice of Madras High Court stayed the proceedings of the Tamil Nadu Government.
Now High court order means vacation of stay and handover of Ayodhya Mandapam to Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) department of the state government becomes mandatory